5 ways of keeping your utility bill under control over winter
Posted by Simon Caddy Electrical
on 5 June 2017
Well, winter is how here and we'll be cranking up the heat to stay warm. However, warmth can come at price, literally, especially if you rely on electric heating.
However, there are some simple and effective steps you can take to keep your house warm without stretching the budget on your next electricity bill.
Here 5 simple yet effective ways to keep the warmth in and the cold out.
- Heating - almost 40% of household energy use relates to heating during winter. Buy the most efficient heater you can afford and only heat the rooms that need it. Keep the thermostat at 18-20C. Be careful you don't overheat your home. Every degree above that you program your heater adds about 10% to your heating costs.
- Ceiling fans - if you do have them especially ones where the blades can be set for summer/winter use, then put your fans on winter mode. This will force any warm air trapped at the ceiling, down to where the cooler air is. It's best to keep the fan running on the lowest speed.
- Curtains - let in the sun during the day (particularly on north-facing windows) and close them at night to seal any draughts around windows or doors.
- Sunshine - maximise the sunlight coming into your home and remove any blockages that may be in the way during the day.
- Cut down on shower time - hot water accounts for around a third of the average household's energy use. Resist the temptation for longer showers this winter. The average shower is eight minutesconsider cutting that in half. Install a water-efficient shower head; efficient showerheads can use as little as 7 litres per minute compared to an unrated showerhead which can use up to 25 litres of water per minute a 72% reduction on hot water usage.
These are just 5 ways that can help minimise your utilities bill this winter there are many more.
Call Simon Caddy Electrical today on 0400 1100 to find out how you can save more on your power bills.
Author:Simon Caddy Electrical
About: Simon Caddy Electrical is an experienced and qualified electrical company providing a wide range of services, including 24 hour, 7 day a week emergency response. Operating out of Hornsby we cover Sydney's North Shore, Northern Suburbs, Northern Beaches and parts of the Central Coast. We provide a vast range of electrical services to commercial, industrial and domestic clients in accordance with all relevant Australian standards.